Issue: November 2019


A monthly newsletter from Kochi Metro Rail Ltd

Events and Updates

KMRL Metro Vihar Inaugurated

Keys of 112 apartments at the Metro Vihar - KMRLs new staff quarters - were handed over to KMRL employees at a function held on 11 November 2019 at the Kochi Metro Muttom Depot. The keys were handed over by Shri. Tom Jose IAS, Chief Secretary, Government of Kerala, in the presence of Shri Alkesh Kumar Sharma IAS, Managing Director KMRL and a host of dignitaries including senior KMRL officials.

McDonald’s Opens Outlet At Aluva Metro Station

Metro riders can now grab a quick bite on the go. McDonald’s is now open on the ground floor of the Aluva Metro Station. The outlet was inaugurated by Shri D.K. Sinha, Director - Systems, KMRL on 12 November 2019, in the presence of McDonald’s and KMRL officials.

Canal Rejuvenation Project Agreement Signed

KMRL signed the agreement for the proposed Canal Rejuvenation Project with the consortium comprising Dutch agency Antea Nederland BV, Netherlands and Unihorn on 19 November 2019. 

Load Test Carried Out Successfully

The initial pile load test on the new stretch from Petta to SN Junction was carried out successfully on 21 November 2019. This is the first major work to be directly executed by KMRL on the stretch.

ATMA Winners Honoured

Awards and cash prizes for winners of ATMA short film contest, which was conducted as a part of Mahatma Gandhi's 150 birth anniversary, were given away by Shri. Alkesh Kumar Sharma IAS, MD – KMRL at a function on 25 November 2019, in the presence of Shri. Srikanth Murali, Film Director, and Shri. Thiruman Archunan, Director - Projects. 

MD’s Column

Kochi’s lifeline is its waterways. However, the fact is that only 20% of the waterways in the city are being utilised for navigation and transport. The rest 80% have been, across time, reduced to drains. Kochi Metro Rail Limited, with its Canal Rejuvenation Project, aims to restore and rejuvenate the canals in the city that were once used for navigation and create an extensive and efficient waterway network for Kochiites. This will also help solve the growing concerns over waterlogging during rains, the primary reason for which is poorly maintained and blocked canals that serve as rainwater drains.

KMRL has signed an agreement with an international consortium comprising Antea Nederland BV, Netherlands and Unihorn for carrying out the Kochi Canal Rejuvenation Project. The LoA (letter of agreement) for the same was signed after the consortium emerged the lowest bidder for executing the project end-to-end.

The Antea Nederland BV - Unihorn Consortium won the project after emerging the lowest bidder for providing full spectrum services including planning, designing, execution and supervision of the Integrated Urban Regeneration and Water Transport System Project (IURWTS). The LoA (letter of acceptance) for the same was signed on 31 October 2019.

The Consortium will prepare a comprehensive project report by March 2020 based on evaluation of the existing detailed project report (DPR). The work project will commence in September 2020. With the completion of this project, Kochi will have a waterway network of world-class standards, akin to cities like Venice, London and Amsterdam. The project will also improve Kochi’s inter-city connectivity by making the canals navigable and double as feeder service to existing public transport systems.

KMRL is committed to making commuting in Kochi easy, and we’ll make sure we do our best to make it possible.

Corporate Communication